Professional Standards

The Pascagoula Police Department is vitally interested in the welfare of all citizens and in taking action where its employees have proven negligent in their duties or are guilty of wrongdoing. If it becomes necessary for you to make a complaint, you can be assured that it will be given a fair and thorough investigation.

By the same token, if you have the occasion to see a police officer doing outstanding work, tell him or us about it. Your police officers are individuals who are dedicated to serving you and our community.​


What is a Complaint?

​A complaint is an expression of formal discontent or accusation made in a written or verbal form that alleges illegal activity, misconduct, or a violation of rules or regulations of the police department or the City of Pascagoula.

Can I talk to a Police Supervisor about my complaint?

​YES. Police Supervisors will speak to you about a complaint. It is not a requirement for you to make a written complaint.

Does the complaint process address guilt or innocence?

​NO. The complaint is not intended to address an expression of dissatisfaction that SOLEY addresses guilt or innocence. That will be determined by a court of law. The complaint process will have NO impact upon pending court action.

How is my complaint investigated?

​The complaint is assigned to a police supervisor for investigation. This could be the first-line supervisor of the involved employee or an investigator in the Professional Standards Division. Upon completion of the investigation, a recommendation is made to the Chief of Police for disposition. The Chief of Police may concur with the recommendation, modify the disposition or order further investigation.

Will I be notified of the disposition?

​YES. You will be notified of the disposition in writing. This process from beginning to end can take several months to complete depending on the complexity of the investigation.

What happens if an employee is found to have acted wrongfully?

​Aside from arrests arising out of criminal conduct, an employee may be subjected to administrative disciplinary action.  

Where do I file my complaint or commendation?

​You may present your complaint or commendation in person at the police department or mail your complaint or commendation to the Pascagoula Police Department, Professional Standards Division, 611 Live Oak Avenue Pascagoula, MS 39567; or you may call the police department at (228)762-2211.

​The Pascagoula Police Department does not accept anonymous complaints, if you identify yourself, you will be informed of the disposition of your complaint. Include in your complaint a statement in which you state the facts surrounding your complaint, including the names and addresses of witnesses, names of officers, and any additional information that would assist in a speedy investigation.